Sunday, May 8, 2011

Listening

Time to get on the bandwagon and start blogging my kindess acts again.

How many times in a day, do you ask someone how they are doing, but don't really take the time to listen to their response? I have to admit that i have done this more times than i would care to admit. Showing genuine compassion/concern or interest in another person can really make someones day. I was in a situation a few weeks ago where i had spoken to a parent from my daughter's preschool (whom i don't know - except to say hi in passing) and asked him how he was doing. He seemed rather disgruntled. He said that he was fine. I responded with "are you sure?, you look a little upset." We had 10 minutes of conversation prior to the kids being let out and he opened up about the difficulties he is dealing with in his personal life and the struggles of being a single dad. At the end of our conversation he thanked me for allowing him to vent and me just listening without judgement. I really didn't do much at all except take a moment out of my day to converse with another person in a genuine manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment